Tips for Local & Family History Research
Local History Resources
Roberts Centennial Commemorative Album
(available for check-out or purchase at HMCL)
Peter J. Close, Roberts/Warren Historian
307 W. Warren St.
Roberts, WI 54023
410 South 3rd St.
River Falls, WI 54022
In basement of library Room 170.
Open M-F, 10– 4:30, 2nd Sat. 10-4:30
(Note: the newspapers from Hammond, Hudson,
New Richmond and River Falls covered this area.)
1100 Heritage Drive
New Richmond, WI 54017
Open: M-F, 10-4
1004 Third Street
Hudson, WI 54016
Research Room open Monday 10-3.
Pierce County Historical Association
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 148, Ellsworth, WI 54011
Office & Archive Address:
River Bluffs History Center, W6321 E. Main St.,
Bay City, WI 54723
Office Research: Thursday 11-4
St. Croix Valley Genealogical Society
St. Croix County Registrar of Deeds
1101 Carmichael Road
Hudson, WI 54016
Open: M-F, 8-4:30
Genealogical Websites to Use In the Library:
https://www.usgenweb.org (has genealogical information)
https://www.ancestry.com (has genealogical information)
Picture of Roberts Train Depot provided by Roberts Remembered.
How do I get a copy of an obituary?
1) If you live in the area and have the death date then UWRF Archives is the best way to get an obit by reading the local paper shortly after the death date. 2) “Google” the name and death date. 3) Ask local historian.
How do I find out about an event in the past?
1) Consult the Roberts Centennial book. 2) Read newspapers accounts from the area papers at UWRF Archives 3) Ask local historian
How do I find out about a person who used to live here?
1) Consult the Roberts Centennial book. 2) Read newspapers accounts from the area papers at UWRF Archives for the years that person lived here. 3) Ask local historian.
How do I find where my family used to live?
1) Consult plat maps in Hazel Mackin Community Library, History room. 2) Consult plat maps at UWRF Archives. 3) Ask the farmers at the Roberts Cafe between 9:30-11:00 am. 4) Ask local historian.
How do I find out about a business, club or organization?
1) Consult the Roberts Centennial book. 2) Ask current member of the club, organization or business. 3) Ask local historian
How do I find history on local schools?
1) Consult the book “Rural Schools of St. Croix County” 2) Consult the Roberts Centennial book. 3) Ask local historian. 4) Consult records a St. Croix County Registrar of Deeds.
How do I find everything there is to know about my family who used to live in Roberts/Warren?
That is a major project which might take 100-1000 hours or more. 1) Decide to make this your hobby and consult all the resources on this sheet. 2) Pay a professional researcher $50/hr to do the work for you. 3) Lower your expectations and ask local historian for help on how to best proceed.
How do I find out about other things not covered by the above answers?
In a calm, kind and patient manner, ask a local historian.